When I am weary or weak it is easy to allow the words to seep in to these insecurities and take root. All it takes is a little nudge and I quickly take up the dialog myself. I mount a case against myself pointing out all of my shortcomings and failures.
- I’m not loving to my husband or don’t appreciate the things he does. ~I am a failure as a wife
- I yell at my kids, make food they don’t like, or forgot to wash their clothes. ~I am a failure as a mother
- I choose to do something else instead of sitting down and write, then can’t remember what God placed on my heart earlier. ~ I am a failure at what God has called me to do
- I don’t spend time with my parents and allow other obligations keep me away. ~I am a failure as a daughter
- I fail miserably to represent to love of God, or don’t spend time in His Word. ~I am a failure as a Christian
Or… I can respond the way Jesus did when the voice of the enemy came at Him in His identity as the Son of God.
Even though Jesus was weary from being in the wilderness and having no food or drink, He didn’t allow the enemy’s words to take root in His life. Insecurities weren’t a factor, because He KNEW who He was. He also knew how to fight the words that came against Him.
Each time the enemy tempted Jesus (see Luke 4:1-12), He countered the enemies words and taunts with the truth of God’s Word.
He fought the lies of the Satan with the Word of God! What is even more amazing is that immediately after this exchange with the enemy, Jesus stated boldly who God says He is and DOES what God has called Him to do.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that the captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free,and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.” Luke 4:18-19, NLT
I pray that each of our default responses to the voice of the enemy become, “No! The Word of God says…”
What lies does the enemy want you to believe about yourself? What has God called you to do that the lies are keeping you from accomplishing?
Fight the lies with God’s Word just like Jesus did. Sign up for my mailing list and get free downloadable Scriptures that can be used to fight the lies of the enemy.
linking up with: